Thursday, December 29, 2011

"The Alligators are Always There"


A light-bulb went off in my head when I read this phrase – which accompanied this photo:

I am well aware that I live a blessed life. There is no real ‘want’ in my house. We are warm, clothed, fed, healthy, employed and generally skipping along merrily. Yet, I am fully aware that “the alligators are always there.”

Our economy sucks donkey-butt. Things could tank (even more than they have) any moment plunging us into a state of not-so-merry-skipping. Mother Earth seems to be grumbling a bit and spewing out odd weather patterns and tossing some disasters in here and there for good measure.

Then there’s the fact that I have managed to live to the ripe-old-age of 41 without suffering a major loss. And it is coming - whether I like it or not. My grandparents are not cooperating with my plan to keep them with me forever. My Gramps turned 90 this year and his mind is in a state of regression and fuzziness that even the strongest medications can’t fix. Nana is 85 and doing her level best to take care of him and not (unintentionally as it would be) plunge herself into un-wellness in the process. My Grandma (on the other side) is also 90 & though she is healthy her body is fragile (aren’t all of us fragile when we think about it?).

The news is filled with “tragic accidents” and “homicidal” and/or “suicidal” maniacs. Horrible things happen to good people every day – in the blink of an eye.

You just. Never. Know.

It frightens me.

However that favorite blogger also reminded me that "life without fear is not a life fully appreciated." And so...I shall embrace the fear and enjoy a greater appreciation for my blessings. Those alligators will have to wait a little longer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment